Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Egoscue: Health Through Motion

Over the past several months, a massage colleague and friend of mine has been introducing me to Egoscue, a form of stretching and movement based in postural therapy, which allows the body to become stronger, to be more flexible, and to be free of pain. In exchange for massage or Reiki sessions, my colleague gives me sets of exercises which address the concerns of my body. I find these exercises tremendously helpful, and the task of completing my exercises every day -- yes, every day -- is no small feat! But, I've noticed, among many wonderful changes, decreased pain and increased range of motion and strength in my shoulders, chest, and upper back.

I thought I'd share an egoscue stretch that I find particularly helpful to open up the chest and give a good stretch to the spine. It's called the Upper Spinal Floor Twist. Sometimes I do this stretch two to three times a day.

Click here for a video demonstration of the stretch. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Courtney,

We are glad you have discovered The Egoscue Method. Bringing your body back to its' original design will open up doors in more than just the physical arena. Good Luck on your journey and if we can help you or your subscribers in any way please do not hesitate to ask.