In it I found some statistics regarding who gets massage and why. A 2007 survey conducted by the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA), revealed that approximately 24% of all Americans received a massage in the last year. The percentage jumped to 34% for those who received massage in the last five years. This same survey indicated that "85% of people believe that massage is beneficial to health and wellness, and 87% agree that massage can effectively reduce pain."
Some other interesting findings related to age and gender:
- 43% of women and 25% of men have had a massage in the last year
- People 45-64 years old had an average of seven massages in the last year
- People 18-44 years old had an average of five massages in the last year
- 38% of people ages 45-64 said their massages were for medical reasons
- 25% of people ages 18-44 said their massages were for medical reasons
So I ask you, dear readers, how do you relate to massage therapy? What does massage do for you? Do you seek massage for relaxation, stress reduction, emotional release, pain management, injury treatment, pampering, or all of the above? I thought I would conduct a little informal survey of my own.
To participate in my online poll, click HERE!
Thank you for your participation!